CareersHelp Lifeline save lives
APPLICATIONS SOUGHT FOR BOARD CHAIR, LIFELINE SOUTH COAST – Voluntary Position
- Support a local charity who has been saving lives for nearly 50 years
- Provide strong governance and strategic leadership
- Effective from 22 October 2018
Lifeline South Coast’s Board now seeks applications from members from the Illawarra and Shoalhaven Communities who are interested in taking on the role of Board Chair.
Lifeline South Coast (NSW) is part of the national Lifeline network providing all Australians experiencing a personal crisis with access to 24-hour crisis support and suicide prevention services. Somewhere in Australia there is a new call to Lifeline every minute. The Lifeline South Coast call catchment area runs the coastal strip from Helensburgh in the north, to the Victorian border in the south. More than 95% of people who work for Lifeline South Coast are volunteers. In addition to the crisis service, the organisation also provides a financial counselling service, and corporate and community suicide prevention training. Lifeline South Coast is an activity of Wollongong Mission, Wesley Uniting Church on the Mall.
As a partner to the chief executive officer (CEO) and other board members, the Board Chair will provide strong governance and strategic leadership to Lifeline South Coast. This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about enhancing the emotional and mental health of the community. The Board meets bi-monthly. Commitments outside Board meetings will depend on skills, interest and availability. Service on Lifeline South Coast’s board is without remuneration, except for provision of administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs in relation to board members’ duties.
Essential Selection Criteria
The selected Board Chair will:
- Have personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of Lifeline South Coast’s beneficiaries.
- Have strong diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals.
- Be regarded in the community as a leader in business, government, philanthropy, or the non-profit sector.
- Be able to demonstrate success as a non-profit board member or board chair.
- Have a commitment to and understanding of Lifeline South Coast beneficiaries and mission preferably based on experience of working for strong values based / mission focused organisations.
Desirable Selection Criteria
- Affiliation with the Church and commitment to the values of the Uniting Church
- Evidence of strong network and relationship building skills.
- Extensive professional experience with significant executive leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, or the non-profit sector
- Track record of building credibility in the funding community that has resulted in varied sources of funding for organisations.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills coupled with natural affinity for public speaking
Applications and Enquiries
Enquiries regarding the role to be made to: Stephen Long (current chair) via email Stephen@blgba.com.au;
Applications which include a cover letter and resume need to address the selection criteria. These are to be sent to Rachael McGarry by email email@example.com
By MONDAY 17 SEPTEMBER, 2018 cob.
For more information on the position, read the position description here.
History & Structure
Established in Wollongong in March 1969, followed by the Nowra branch in 1981, Lifeline is non-denominational, and Volunteer Telephone Crisis Supporters come from a wide range of backgrounds.
Please find inside links to Lifeline South Coast annual reports and other organisational information. For more information, please call the administration office on 02 4228 1311.
For 24-hour telephone crisis support, call Lifeline on 13 11 14
If life is in danger, call 000